Saturday, April 24, 2010

Phew!

Pheewww!!! Talk about the week from hell. First off, I'm not used to waking up at 6AM for classes when the whole break I'd been sleeping in till' 10. Second, this semester is all OB and Peds, things I know nothing about. Consequently, we had two mandatory orientations, one from 7-1PM and the second from 6:30-3PM, not to mention work for all of my new classes. It was heinous. The morning of our last orientation day, our instructor began the class by informing us that one of our favorite lab instructors was killed while teaching in Tonga with the BSN students during the semester. What happened is that she, the students, and her husband were site seeing around some rivers and waterfalls when she slipped, fell into the water, and was swept away in a current. They still haven't found her body. This woman, Gayle Lee, was one of the smartest and most educated women I have ever had the opportunity of being taught by. She made me want to get my masters and gain as much education as possible. I had her for both scenario and skills day my freshmen semester and she made what should have been difficult testing experiences unforgettable opportunities for learning and career experience. I will be a more caring, educated, and qualified nurse because of her. 
Anyway, the college staff reacted just as one would expect: They're all nurses. And when someone comes in and we know they're going to die, we feel terrible, but know we have to continue and move forward in what we're doing. But we and they, of course, are all devastated. It's been very comforting to know that she has returned home and is being reunited with loved ones and is in a better place than the rest of us. 
On a different and insignificant note, I've been planning what I want to purchase during Natalie and my shopping trip in July. I haven't shopped at all for Spring and since my transition to the warm weather consists of boardwalk shorts I'm rolling up once and v-neck t's, I'm kind of excited. I've picked a couple things from Urban (duh), that I'm pretty 100% on getting. Of course, I should figure out how I'm paying for all of this, but you know, the money will magically appear (anyone have ideas on getting quick cash, besides the 
lottery?). 
Should I start a fund? 

No comments: